Sally is an experienced litigation and alternative dispute resolution attorney, with over 15 years’ experience in resolving complex and high profile, local and cross-border commercial disputes. Sally is accredited as a highly recommended lawyer in the Cayman Islands’ Legal 500, 2023 Dispute Resolution Rankings.
Sally’s practice is focused on litigating and resolving disputes in the following areas:
- Insolvency & Corporate Restructuring
- Asset-tracing and Enforcement
- Corporate/ Shareholder disputes
- Banking & Finance litigation
- Real Estate
- Debt Recovery
In addition, Sally advises on the grounds and strategies of challenging the decisions or errors of public bodies and government ministries that have affected the livelihoods or business interests of local clients by way of JUDICIAL REVIEW proceedings.
- Advising on highly contentious insolvency proceedings in the Court of Appeal, with leave to appeal being granted 5 years after the date of the order under appeal (dismissing the Appellant’s appeal against rejection of proof of debt). Judgment granting the appeal was handed down in August 2023, with costs orders made against the Company and the Joint Official Liquidators in their personal capacity. The Appellant’s appeal against the rejection of his proof of debt has been remitted to the Grand Court for rehearing.
- Advising in proceedings across 3-tiers of the Cayman Islands Courts (Grand Court, Financial Services Division and the Court of Appeal) in relation to the performance and enforcement of a specific performance order against MV Cayman Ltd (former Margaritaville Hotel and Resort) and the subsequent liquidation of the company.
- Representing multiple defendants in Financial Services proceedings concerning the alleged misappropriation of investment funds and associated proprietary claims.
- Advising a conglomerate of private owners in relation to the receivership of a complex real estate development company and unorthodox, secured asset structure.
- Representing and advising on the tracing and recovery of assets located in multiple jurisdictions, including the Cayman Islands, the US and South America, resulting in post-judgment worldwide freezing and third-party disclosure orders.
- Advised CTMH Holdings Ltd (Applicant) in its successful Judicial Review proceedings against the Government (Respondent) concerning: the lawfulness of financial waivers granted pursuant to contract other healthcare providers; and the regulation of the two-tier system of registration for health practitioners in the Cayman Islands.
- Advising the Applicant in ongoing Judicial Review proceedings against a Cayman Islands Government regulatory body for failure to promulgate regulations.
- Acting on proceedings concerning an application to seal the court file and prevent publication of proceedings on the Public Register raising important questions concerning open justice, confidentiality and public access to court documents.
- Advising on subpoenas served on a global accountancy firm for the disclosure and production of confidential information.
- International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC)
- Recovery and Insolvency Specialists Association (RISA)
- 100 Women In Finance
- Cayman Islands Legal Practitioners Association (Member)
- College of Law, Birmingham, UK (LLB)
- University of Cardiff (BA Hons)
- England and Wales (2009)
- Cayman Islands (2017)
“Entrusted by a client roster that includes both high-net-worth individuals and listed corporates, McGrath Tonner fields a broad contentious practice“
“… not only a brilliant mind, but an excellent strategist”
[Legal 500, 2023 – Dispute Resolution]